Thursday, March 24, 2016

Do modesty and summer go together?

As a full-time mother, wife, and student, I have found very little time for extracurricular activities, (such as blogging), and I deeply apologize for my absence. However, with the presence of summer approaching ever so quickly, I have found many posts circulating Pinterest regarding "modesty," and have really felt led to touch on the subject.

As the temperatures rise, so does the subject of "appropriate swimwear."  

Many people either disregard the topic all together, or just simply tiptoe around the answer as to avoid confrontation.

As much as I would love to please everyone, it is our jobs as Christians to spread the gospel. The full gospel. In truth.

So, here it is goes, the question of the hour (or season, rather), "is it okay for a Christian woman to wear a bikini?"

I have heard many answers to this question, all from Christian women. While some answer "no", many have various answers including: "yes, as long as it is not for vain reasons," "yes, because it is the most comfortable option for heat and water," "yes, because after struggling with my body image for so long I am now choosing to embrace my image and be proud," "yes, because I am pregnant and it is too hot to cover my belly," "yes, because I want to tan my entire body," "yes, because it is the most practical option."

Notice that no one ever said "yes, because I know that God doesn't mind," "yes, because the scriptures don't tell me I can't."

If your answer is "yes, because it is the most comfortable or practical option," ponder this thought, what if your daughter chose to wear short shorts and a top revealing her stomach to an outside event because it was "hot" outside and she simply felt that this was the coolest and most comfortable option? Is this deemed appropriate? If not, what makes wearing a bikini appropriate? Because you're sitting beside a body of water?

When I find myself facing these kinds of moral and spiritual dilemmas, and there is no black and white answer in scripture, I ask myself, "if God were standing in front of me at this very moment, would I be ashamed?"

When this topic is addressed from a Christian stand point, the answer is usually always "it is a matter of personal conviction."

And maybe it is, but let me share a few scriptures with you.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20

What? Know ye that your body is the body of the temple of the Holy Ghost which is on you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

These scriptures tell us that not only are our bodies God's temple, but that our bodies are to glorify Him. Another words, YOU, inside and OUT, are supposed to represent God. If you are in a bikini just like everyone else, how would you stand out as a Christian?

You wouldn't.

1 Timothy 2:9 says for "women" to "adorn themselves in modest apparel."

Is a bikini modest? Be honest with yourself.

Mathew 5:28 says "whosever looketh on a women to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart." I understand this is on men if they choose to commit this act, and that a man will lust over a woman who is fully clothed as well, and while we aren't responsible for another mans sin, I personally do not wish to knowingly contribute to another persons sin, and a man is more likely to lust over a woman who is half naked rather than modestly covered.

It was Eve who convinced Adam to disobey God, let's choose not to be an Eve.

Instead of justifying your choice by saying it is only because of convenience, study God's word and seek His guidance on the matter, let Him give you the answer.

If you knew that God was going to be at the pool or beach that you were attending, would you still wear a bikini? Or anything immodest for that matter?

Remember, Hebrews 4:13 says that there is nothing or no one hidden from the sight of God. "The eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth..." 2 Chronicles 16:9.

God sees us whether he is standing in front of us, or just simply looking down upon us from Heaven.

How would you dress if you walked everyday with God?

-M








No comments:

Post a Comment